Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What If We Took Personal Responsibility?

Personal responsibility...it can be applied to many arenas of our culture and, in my opinion, could vastly improve the quality of our culture. Just think how our world would change if everyone took personal responsibility for their finances, their choices, their actions, and their success. Do you think it would make  a difference?

Now let's talk about personal responsibility when it comes to evangelism. Do you think it would make a difference in the kingdom of God if each of us took personal responsibility to reach our world? Not our world in general (everyone on the planet), but our world in particular (the particular place we find ourselves at any particular moment).

Sure, there are certain believers who are endowed with the gift of evangelism. And you and I may not have that particular gift. But that does not exempt each of us from taking personal responsibility for those around us. God has given us the tremendous opportunity to reach those around us with the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Jesus said in Matthew 28:19, 20:  “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” 


Going doesn't necessarily mean a planned, organized, thought-out system of outreach (though it certainly can include it). But it absolutely means that as you are going through your daily life, on your job, at your school, in your neighborhood...make disciples. Acts 5:42 demonstrates the way the early church shared their faith, Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they [the apostles] never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Christ.” As we live our lives day to day, we have opportunities every day to proclaim the good news that Jesus is the Christ! I find myself praying every morning, "God, help me, as I go through my day, to proclaim Your good news to someone...with my choices, with my actions, with my attitudes, and with my witness."


In the filming of Ben Hur,  Charleston Heston was having difficulty learning how to drive the chariot for what would become one of the most famous scenes in the movie, the chariot race. It is reported that after an intense time of practice and hard work, Heston went to the director of the play, Cecil B. DeMille, and said, “I think I can drive the chariot, but I’m not sure I can win the race.” DeMille reportedly replied, “You just stay in the race, I’ll make sure you win.”

When it comes to evangelism, that is all that God asks of us...stay in the race. Trust Him for the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment