Thursday, August 4, 2011

Three Things Jesus Taught About Our Eternal Destination

Someone asked me yesterday why I preached on the subject of hell this past Sunday and why I was writing about it in my blog. Did I expect to have a church filled with people who were not followers of Jesus? No, like most Sundays at Hickory Valley Community Church, the vast majority of people who were listening to me were already believers in Jesus Christ as their personal Savior. Did several people accept Christ that morning as a result of the sermon? Again, no.

The purpose of my addressing this subject was the fact that I personally believe that far too many of us are complacent about the fact that the Bible has some very strong things to say about who will spend eternity in hell.

First of all, the Bible says that while some people will chose to go to heaven because of their acceptance of Christ; others will chose to spend eternity separated from God because of their rejection of Christ. Revelation 20:15 clearly says, “If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.” This doesn't mean those who go to heaven are better people or are more loved by God...they are saved!

Secondly, Jesus said in Matthew 7:13-14 that more people will go to hell that will go to heaven. “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.”


 And finally, Jesus warned in Matthew 7:21-23, that many who think they are going to heaven, aren't going to make it. “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’” The implication is clear. Our confession of faith must have an impact on our lifestyle. Evildoers will be turned away, regardless of the things they did or said in the name of Jesus.

And so, as I prepared for this sermon on the subject of hell, my hopes and prayers were that I could somehow, challenge and inspire us to be more responsible to share with people the truth that God has provided a way for us to spend eternity with Him with, not separated from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment