Friday, August 26, 2011

Tell Your Story

While speaking in London, evangelist D. L. Moody was approached by a British companion who wanted to know the secret of Moody’s success in leading people to Christ. Moody directed the man to his hotel window and asked, "What do you see?" The man looked down on the square and reported a view of crowded streets. Moody suggested he look again. This time the man mentioned seeing people - men, women, and children. Moody then directed him to look a third time, and the man became frustrated that he was not seeing what Moody wanted him to see. The great evangelist came to the window with watery eyes and said, "I see people going to hell without Jesus. Until you see people like that, you will not lead them to Christ."

For those who experienced the first wave of Pentecost, the experience placed within them a burning zeal to share what God had done in their lives. After all, that is what Jesus said the baptism of the Spirit would do (Acts 1:8).  When they were chastised by the Jewish ruling body and told to quit telling others about this Christ, they said in Acts 4:20, “For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard." 


Here's the deal...when you have seen, heard, and been touched by the Spirit of God, you can't help but tell it! I know for myself, when it has been a long time since I have experienced His powerful presence in my life, I have very little to tell. When I have become stale in my relationship, there is no compelling passion to tell others about what He has done. But when I am fresh, and have experienced the grace of God abundantly in my life, I am a living example of an old Southern Gospel hymn, "Well, I said I wouldn't tell it to a living soul, How He brought salvation and He made me whole; But I find I couldn't hide such love as Jesus did impart. 'Cause it makes me laugh and it makes me cry, sets my happy soul on fire; When God dipped His love in my heart."

John said, "That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life.... We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us." (1 John 1:1, 3)


Cliff Schimmels once spoke at our church. He challenged us to share our faith. Over and over, he kept saying to us, "Tell your story". After all, isn't that what evangelism is all about...telling your story? Which is really His story!


No comments:

Post a Comment