Friday, August 5, 2011

An Absence of God's Presence

As I conclude writing about this subject for the week, I have to say, this topic has created a lot of stimulating dialogue for me from a variety of sources, from Facebook posts, e-mails, and even phone calls. I have had different discussions from some amazing people who have stimulated some exciting dialogue for me. For that I am thankful. I think it is always healthy to have open and honest dialogue on any Biblical subject, and rather than becoming defensive and argumentative, I feel it provides me with new opportunities to explore and examine my own beliefs and worldview.

As I conclude my writings this week on the topic of hell,  I want to spend a few moments discussing what I feel will be the greatest tragedy for those who reject Christ's offer of life eternal. While most people zero in on the "lake of fire", "wailing and gnashing of teeth", etc. I will freely admit, I can't wrap my brain around those concepts. I really do understand the struggle that people have with the idea of a loving God allowing someone to experience that for eternity. Not that I'm saying those things are not real...they are just so beyond my comprehension.

For me, those things are not the major torment of hell anyway. For me, the fiercest flame of hell will be the the absence of the goodness of God's presence.

The greatest gift that Jesus offers all of us is reconciliation to God, not through our works or our personal righteousness, but through the amazing grace that He offers. Even before we accept His gift of grace, God's tremendous, all-encompassing presence provides a compelling source of comfort, peace, and love in our lives.

But imagine an absence of God's goodness! For me, that's hell...whether in this life, the afterlife, or no life (How's that for covering the differing views of eternity?). I never want to be at a place where I am not able to experience the Source of everything good, the One whose persona is pure love, pure mercy, pure justice, and pure holiness. How do you describe One whose glory is so beyond our comprehension? But more importantly, can we truly appreciate His presence in our lives each day? To be void of His presence...you know what that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment