Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Evangelism Is What We Do

Pastor Tom Shepard remarks that purple martins fly from South America to North America every year. They spend the summer here in North America and fly back South before winter hits. They have been doing this for centuries. They come north for one reason...to build a family. They fly thousands of miles each year to ensure the health and growth of the family unit. To the martins, the health and growth of the next generation is a matter of life or death of the species.

I believe that is why Jesus gave the Great Commission to us: “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20) I personally believe that the Great Commission is a matter of life and death.

My vision for the Hickory Valley Community Church is for us to provide an environment where every one, no matter where they are on the spiritual continuum, from atheist, to seeker, to mature Christian, can grow in their relationship with God. Secondly, I hope that we can provide an environment where people can grow through the spiritual disciplines of prayer, fasting, Bible study, and fellowship. Finally, I hope that we can provide an environment that will enable people to use their giftedness, abilities, and talents to impact the world around them; to be able to impart eternal significance into the lives of others. Like the martins, I believe the health and development of the next spiritual generation is so important, we should be willing to risk everything in order to perpetuate our species.

This past Sunday, we focused on the importance on outreach. I read a sermon by a minister where he gave the following statistics (while I cannot verify the validity of his statistics, I think it is pretty obvious in most American churches his statistics are pretty accurate). He indicated that 89% of American church members said that the number one purpose of the church is to “take care of my needs and those of my family.” Only 11% said, “The purpose of the church is to win the world for Jesus Christ.”

Jesus Himself gave us the Great Commission as a command for us to be intentional in developing relationships with people so that we can introduce them to Him. If our local church is going to survive, we must help people understand the grace that is offered them through Jesus Christ. Here's what I firmly believe. Hickory Valley is not vitally important to the survival of the Kingdom of God or the Church of God. We have a tremendous opportunity to participate in the growth of His Kingdom and His Church. But if we don't participate, His Kingdom and His Church will grow! However, we will die. The options are very simple. We can either enjoy the thrill of participating in His ever-expanding Kingdom or we can be self-centered and self-focused...and die. Not a very hard decision if you ask me!

I am attaching a short, two-minute video that I showed Sunday morning to challenge our thinking about discipleship. I would love to hear what you think as you watch the video.




No comments:

Post a Comment