Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What We Maximize and What We Minimize

When we hear about God's generous gift of forgiveness, many people often ask the question, “If God guarantees my forgiveness, does that mean I can commit any sin I want, and God will forgive me?” The answer is a resounding “yes”. His forgiveness is not limited in any measure. His grace is boundless.

However, anyone who views God's forgiveness in this manner is approaching the Christian life from the wrong direction. It's like having a job. Everyone who works is entitled to get paid, but no customer or no employer wants to deal with a worker who is only there for the money. We can probably all agree that this person isn't on the fast track to advancement? The problem is, with our current work culture, far too many people have the mindset, “I just what to know what is the least amount of work I can do here and still get paid?”

None of us want to be served at a restaurant by someone with that mindset. And we wouldn't want someone working for us with that mindset. And yet, many people carry that mindset into their relationship with God. “What's the minimum I have to do and what's the maximum I can get away with?” This week, as we explore 1 John 1, I want to challenge you to think the opposite way: How can I maximize my relationship with God, and how can I minimize my sinful behavior?”

So while the promise of forgiveness from 1 John 1:9 is eternally true, a proper response to His forgiveness is not to take our sinfulness lightly, but to all I can do to maximize my relationship with Him and minimize my sinful behavior. Because not only is  He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins...; but He is also able to purify us from all unrighteousness.” That is the complete work of His forgiveness in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment