Monday, February 13, 2012

The Truth About Forgiveness

I have in my office two children's toys. One is a train engine. It was the last toy my parents gave me as a child. The other is an Etch-a-Sketch. I bought it myself about ten years ago. I keep it prominently placed in my office as a reminder.

Remember as a kid playing with an Etch-a-Sketch. I was never very good at it. I would try to write my name in block lettering, but it never looked right. I would try to draw things, but they never looked right either (unless of course, you count drawing squares and rectangles...I could do those pretty good). I have seen pictures of drawings by others of people and landscapes that were amazing. If they weren't Photoshopped, they are fabulous. I could never do that.

But the great thing about an Etch-a-Sketch was (and still is), if you mess up, all you have to do is turn in over, shake it, and you get a fresh start!

1 John 1:9 is the Etch-a-Sketch verse of the Bible. John says, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” It is one of the easiest Scriptures in all of the Bible to understand because it is so straightforward. God's promise is our sins can be forgiven...the only condition is we have to confess them. It almost sounds too good to be true, doesn't it?

But that is one of the greatest wonders of all the Bible. God offers us His great love, forgiveness, and salvation, and all we have to do is confess our sins and ask for His forgiveness.

This week, we are going to explore the Biblical truth about forgiveness. We are going to examine some fabulous truths and experience some great challenges. I hope you will join me each day this week as we explore the truth about forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment