Thursday, February 9, 2012

Your Total Attention

Jesus says in Luke 13:24 (NKJV), “Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able”  Strive! That’s a very powerful word. It means quite literally “to contend, to struggle, to fight, to labor fervently.” To go the extra step, the second mile, over and above what is expected, to raise the temperature one more degree! I have to admit, I don't remember the last time I struggled, labored fervently, or contended to raise my level of commitment to the Lord or His Body.

“Strive,” says Jesus, “to enter through the narrow gate, for many...will seek to enter”. Jesus indicates that they will begin, they will start, they will have great intentions, they will set out to live the Christian life, to be God’s man, to be a woman of faith, to walk with God in victory, but they “will not be able,” they will not be successful, they’ll not be victorious, they’ll not make it. I will readily admit, I don't understand completely where that all fits into the doctrine of salvation by grace, but I do believe the line between failure and success is incredibly fine.

Here is how Eugene Peterson translates this verse in The Message. “The way to life—to God!—is vigorous and requires your total attention.” At the risk of sounding judgmental (I don't think I am; first, I am including myself, and secondly, I have no one in particular in mind), I'm not sure I know many people that give their total attention to the way of life! If it does not have my total attention, wouldn't you agree that Jesus is challenging us to turn up the heat?

I am aware that my reformed friends may challenge me to compare Scripture with Scripture, and to weigh this verse in the light of others concerning salvation and acceptance with God by grace alone. I really do believe that doctrine! But I am feeling the challenge to discover how to to give the way to life - to God...my total attention.  And I think the word Peterson used is that it is vigorous. That usually involves some work.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment