Monday, February 4, 2013

The Search For Love

When I was about seven years old, my parents took me to Six Flags Over Texas. Needless to say, coming from a small town of about 1,500 people with no traffic lights, the Dallas-Fort Worth area was overwhelming to me. And all the sights, sounds, and rides of Six Flags were almost more than my senses could comprehend.

On one particular occasion, we were standing for a few moments as my parents were checking out the park map to decide what we would do next. So I took opportunity to look around to see all those around me. And you know what happened, don't you? They took off, and I didn't.

I was lost. In a panic, I began to scan the faces and look around to see if there was anyone I knew. I was terrified. No matter how hard my seven-year-old brain tried to compute what to do next, I drew a blank. I was lost, I was searching, and I was terrified.

All of a sudden, from behind, my dad's hand grabbed my shoulder. A wave of relieve flooded my little spirit. But I noticed something about my dad. He was trembling as well. He even looked more relieved that me! As a parent, I now understand a truth that I could never grasp back then. As much as I was laboring to find my parents...they were working even harder to find me. And I also discovered that they were better at searching that I was.

You know the same is true about God. Other world religions are all about man's search for God. Christianity is all about God's search for man. This week we are exploring the search for love. And what we will discover is this: God is far better at searching for us than we are at searching for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment