Monday, July 25, 2011

A Heart for Heaven

I believe the concept of heaven is under a spiritual attack. How else can we explain why there is very little homesickness for heaven among American Christians. When I accepted Jesus as my Savior, my home shifted from earth to heaven. The old-timers used to sing it this way: "This world is not my home, I'm just a-passin' through. And I can't feel at home in this world anymore."

But if most of us were honest, we would admit that, while heaven may a good place, we shouldn't have any sense of urgency about getting there. The reality is, most of us are pretty happy with the way things are here on earth. And if we were really honest, for many of us, our treasure is more on earth than in heaven. Our hearts drift more toward the things of earth than it does toward the things of heaven. 

But if we could really catch even a small glimpse of what awaits us, our hearts would be drawn home. Think of the best day you have ever had. The most enjoyable event of your life. The most fabulous place you have ever seen. Now, here's what the Psalmist said, “Better is one day in your courts, O Lord, than a thousand elsewhere.” (Psalm 84:10).  Just one day in heaven is worth a thousand of your best days here!

If that doesn't make your heart drift toward heaven, I don't know what will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment