Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Foolish


I think 2 Samuel 6 provides for us one of the keys as to why God used David in miraculous ways. To set the backdrop, David has just attended his own coronation as the King of Israel. He led Israel into an arousing victory over the Philistines. And now he is leading them into one of the greatest spiritual revivals of their history...bringing the Ark of Covenant back to Jerusalem.

This is on the greatest days of his life! However, 2 Samuel 6:16 (NLT) says, “But as the Ark of the Lord entered the City of David, Michal, the daughter of Saul, looked down from her window. When she saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord, she was filled with contempt for him.” 

Let me give you an insight that I have gained in over thirty years of ministry and watching people grow excited about their relationship with the Lord. When you get excited about God don’t expect everyone else to be as enthusiastic about your excitement as you are! When you experience a personal revival, some people will be encouraged by your experience. But others will be convicted. And their conviction will often display itself with criticism. They will criticize you, your experience, and your enthusiasm.

Michal is a perfect example. 2 Samuel 6:20 says, “When David returned home to bless his own family, Michal, the daughter of Saul, came out to meet him. She said in disgust, “How distinguished the king of Israel looked today, shamelessly exposing himself to the servant girls like any vulgar person might do!”

Here's what is amazing to me about David. Even though he was the King, he was not afraid to look foolish. He disrobed (shed his royal robes) and danced before the Lord.

The royal robes represented David’s identity and security. But David recognized that identity and security can be found whether you wear kingly robes or servant clothes. And because of that, he wasn’t afraid of looking foolish! Verses 21-22 continue, “David said to Michal, “It was before the Lord, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the Lord’s people Israel—I will celebrate before the Lord. I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor.”

Don't miss the phrase, “I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. The New Living Translation says, “Yes, and I am willing to look even more foolish than this, even to be humiliated in my own eyes!” David recognized one of the most important principles about worship...Worship is not about our personal comfort; it is about God's worthiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment