Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Blessings of Uncertainty


The Uncertainty Principle is a law of life. Uncertainty never goes away. You may get a brief rest from it, but eventually it returns. Life will always be filled with infinite uncertainties! There will always be unanswered questions and unexplained experiences.

Donald Miller writes this in Blue Like Jazz: “There are things you cannot understand, and you must learn to live with this. Not only must you learn to live with this, you must learn to enjoy this.”

We all eventually have to accept the fact that God is God and we’re not. Which means, there will be questions that will never be answered. There will experiences that will never be explained. The secret to success in life is to learn to embrace the uncertainty.

Hebrews 11:8 says, “By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as an inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.” Don't miss the phrase “even though he did not know where he was going”. That is scary isn't it. Sometimes I will have no idea where God is taking me. However it is also encouraging. If someone as loved by God as Abraham didn't have a clue, then maybe I’m okay. Because a lot of the time, I am clueless. I have my plans, my goals, and my dreams, but the truth is, most of the time, I have no idea where God is taking me!

A teacher of the law said to Jesus in Luke 9: “I will follow you wherever you go.” Jesus responded: “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.” 

You see, when you follow Christ, you never know where you’re going to end up. Anything can happen. That is intimidating, but it is also exciting. It is an adventure. And adventures are...fun! The element of surprise breathes joy into life. Thank God for uncertainty and unpredictability!

No comments:

Post a Comment