Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Encouragement of Scripture

Romans 15:4 tells us that another way to gain God’s kind of hope is through the encouragement of Scripture. "For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have HOPE."

Psalm 119:43 reinforces this truth: "Do not snatch the word of truth from my mouth, for I have put my hope in your laws." Verse 74 also says: "May those who fear you rejoice when they see me, for I have put my hope in your word." Verse 81 adds: "My soul faints with longing for your salvation, but I have put my hope in your word."

We receive hope FROM His word. The Word of God fills us with hope because it gives us examples of the faithfulness of God and the way in which He can and will work in our lives.  Whether we are reading about the Israelites deliverance at the Red Sea, David's conquest of Goliath, or Daniel's battle in the lion's den, those stories remind us of the faithfulness of God in the lives of people, who, at the time were leading pretty ordinary lives.  Yet for these ordinary people, because of their willingness to endure and remain faithful through broken relationships, fallen heroes, and crushed dream, God acknowledged a great experience for them.

When I read about His faithfulness in those stories, I am reminded of how I can trust God for the Red Seas, the Goliaths, and the lions of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment